Adult fare concessions apply if you are:
- Aged 70 or over
- Classified as a War Widow by Veterans Affairs
Concessions also apply if you hold one of the following:
- Health Care Card
- Health Benefit Card
- Seniors Card
- Centrelink or Veterans Affairs Pensioner Cards
- An adult Concession Bus Token issued by a recognised employment agency or authorised supplier
- Full-time student card – students in the year of their 19th birthday or older*
* Adult students in the year of their 19th birthday or older, and attending the University of Tasmania, Australian Maritime College, Australian Technical College, Tasmanian Polytechnic, Tasmanian Academy or Skills Institute.
You must present proof of your entitlement when you buy a concession ticket or when requested.
Children under 16 years of age are eligible to travel at student/child fares. Senior secondary and tertiary students up to, and including the year of their 18th birthday* are also eligible to travel at the student/child fare.
* Full-time students up to, and including the year in which they turn 18) attending the University of Tasmania, Australian Maritime College, Australian Technical College, Tasmanian Polytechnic, Tasmanian Academy or Skills Institute.
You must present your Metro approved student ID card when you buy a student/child fare or when requested.
Concession ticket types
- Single trip ticket: unlimited travel (including transfers) within the urban area, for a 90 minute period from the time the ticket is purchased. A single trip ticket can be purchased from the driver; you may also use a Metro Greencard.
- Day Tripper: unlimited urban travel after 9.00am.
The following people are entitled to free travel.
- Children under five years provided they are not a school student travelling to or from school and that they are accompanied by a person of at least 16 years of age.
- Tasmania Police officers
- St Johns Ambulance volunteers in uniform
- Vision impaired people and their attendant
- World War One veterans and spouses
- TPI & EDA pensioners
- A person accompanying someone who holds a Companion Card.
Note: Vision impaired people, TPI & EDA pensioners, World War One veterans and spouses need to be registered with Metro to be eligible for the free travel.
Free student travel passes
Free Student Travel Pass entitlement as determined by the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources is now incorporated as part of the function of the Metro Greencard. This provides two 90 minute journeys (including transfers during the 90 minute period) during school terms. Passes are valid between 6.00am and 7.00pm, travel outside these hours, or for other purposes, (or if the two free 90 minute journeys have been used) requires the payment of the appropriate student/child fare.
For more information about free travel or transfer passes go to the Student Permits & Passes page.
For general enquiries about concessions phone the Metro Hotline on 13 22 01.