Customer Service Charter and Conditions of Travel
Metro Tasmania Pty Ltd is a state owned company established in February 1998. We are proud to operate bus services which connect people and communities in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie. Our vision is to be the most attractive travel option for the Tasmanian public in Metro’s contract areas.
Our Customer Service Charter informs customers what type and level of service they can expect from us, while the conditions of travel detail the responsibilities and expected conduct of our customers while travelling on Metro buses.
We aim to:
- Deliver at least 99% of scheduled services; and
- Deliver at least 85% of services within 1 minute before and 5 minutes after their scheduled departure time.
While we strive to provide a reliable service, this may not always be possible due to circumstances beyond our control, such as traffic congestion, roadworks, weather or other disruptions. However, we will continue to work with State and local Government, Tasmania Police and other relevant stakeholders to improve the reliability of public transport.
We are committed to ensuring that its buses always travel on the scheduled route and stop at all bus stops where there are hailing passengers or passengers wishing to alight. However, buses will not stop to collect passengers if the bus has reached its legal capacity for standing and seated passengers. In these cases, the bus destination sign will indicate that the bus is full.
Express service buses will only stop at timetabled express service bus stops.
We are committed to making passenger transport a travel option of choice for all Tasmanians. As at June 2016, we deliver approximately 60% of our general access services with wheelchair accessible buses. These have low floors and kneeling capability which allows the buses to be lowered closer to the pavement level.
We have a bus replacement program that will progressively increase the number of wheelchair accessible buses operating in the network. Our customer service centres in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie are all wheelchair accessible.
Timetables in Hobart and Burnie indicate which trips will always be provided with wheelchair accessible buses, and we are in the process of expanding this information to our Launceston timetables.
If you are a Launceston customer and require a wheelchair accessible bus on a route that has not had its timetable updated, contact our Customer Service Hotline on 13 22 01, preferably at least one hour prior to your intended journey. We will be able to confirm whether an accessible bus is being used on a particular service and help you plan your journey.
In the event that we are unable to provide an advertised wheelchair accessible service, information will be provided via Facebook, Twitter and email between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. In eligible circumstances, a free taxi will be provided upon request.
We review our loading data regularly to ensure that we match service frequency and bus size to meet your travelling patterns and demands. If you regularly encounter buses that are not stopping at a scheduled bus stop because they are full, please let us know so we can assess the issue.
Timetables, journey planning, Greencard and fare information is available on our website www.metrotas.com.au or by calling our Customer Service Hotline on 13 22 01: available from 7am to 7pm on weekdays except Public Holidays and 9am to 2.30pm on Saturdays (during Daylight Savings only). We aim to answer 80% of calls to our Customer Service Hotline within 60 seconds.
Timetables, Greencard and fare information is also available from Metro offices:
- Hobart – Metro Shop at 22 Elizabeth Street, open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 9.30am to 2pm Saturdays during daylight savings.
- Launceston – Depot Office at 168 Wellington Street open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Burnie – Depot Office at 28 Strahan Street open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Every bus stop will be clearly identified with a bus stop sign and where timetable information is provided it will be up to date.
All buses will display clear and accurate route numbers and destination information at all times while in service. When out of service a bus will display an out of service message in the destination area.
When we change a timetable or a route, we will use a combination of channels to let you know, including alerts on our website and social media, newspaper notices, or information at a bus stop. We will explain the reason why we are making the change and identify any specific service implications.
Safety and security is at the forefront of our business. To ensure the safety of all bus operators and customers all buses are fitted with CCTV. We also have a close working relationship with Tasmania Police to minimise crime and anti-social behaviour on our services.
All Metro bus operators are trained in safe driving practices to maximise customer safety. To ensure a pleasant on-board experience we regularly inspect the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and lighting to ensure all are working correctly.
All buses in service will be cleaned internally (swept, remove the rubbish and attend to any spills or soiling) on a daily basis. We will wash the outside of the bus at least once a week or more often if required. A full detail clean of all buses (internal clean and external wash) will be undertaken every 10 weeks.
We are committed to ensuring all Metro employees, visitors and customers are treated with dignity, respect and are free from discrimination and harassment.
Discrimination is when a person is treated less favourably (worse) than other people because they have a particular characteristic, such as their age, race, sex or disability. It is also discrimination when a person is disadvantaged compared to other people because they have a particular characteristic.
The Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (Tas) makes discrimination on the basis of one or more of the following attributes unlawful:
- Irrelevant medical record
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
- Relationship status
- Lawful sexual activity
- Marital status
- Family responsibilities
- Parental status
- Irrelevant criminal record
- Religious belief or affiliation
- Religious activity
- Political belief or affiliation
- Political activity
- Industrial activity
- Association with a person who has or is believed to have any of the other attributes.
We encourage customers to report any instances of discrimination. We will take any reports seriously and ensure an objective, impartial and confidential investigation is conducted and appropriate action taken.
We ask that all passengers comply with the following Conditions of Travel in order to allow us to provide bus services that are safe, comfortable, reliable and easily accessible.
Failure to comply with the Conditions of Travel may constitute a breach of the Tasmanian Passenger Transport Services Regulations (2013), and result in a passenger being directed to leave the bus.
When travelling with us, you must:
- Have a valid ticket for your journey;
- Carry proof of entitlement if using a Concession or Child/Student ticket;
You must not:
- consume food or drink;
- bring open drinks on to a vehicle, including coffee and soft drinks;
- damage or interfere with a vehicle, service equipment or service;
- bring an animal on to a vehicle unless it is an approved guide or assistance animal;
- use obscene or offensive language;
- carry flammable liquids, firearms or weapons of any type;
- enter or leave or attempt to enter or leave a vehicle whilst it is moving, waiting at any road intersection or traffic signal;
- threaten, abuse or assault any customer or bus operator;
- play any instrument or gamble or play any game which may annoy or inconvenience other customers or distract the bus operator;
- create a nuisance or disturbance.
To help make everyone’s journey a pleasant and safe one, we ask that you:
- Allow other customers to alight the bus before boarding;
- Use headphones or earphones for personal listening devices;
- Respect other passengers by behaving in a considerate manner; and
- Offer your seat to mobility impaired passengers.
We ask that you don’t:
- Place personal items on a seat while customers are standing; and
- Place feet on seats at any time.
We have the right to refuse to carry any person who is:
- Intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
- Of poor personal hygiene; or
- Considered to be a security or safety risk.
While Metro does not refuse carriage on the grounds of disability, to ensure passengers’ safety and comfort the following rules must be followed:
- Mobility aids may only be carried upon Metro’s low floor bus services;
- Mobility aid weight must not exceed 300kg (passenger weight included) and must comply with dimension, stability and manoeuvrability standards;
- Occupied mobility aids such as wheelchairs, prams and strollers must be stationed in the designated area facing towards the rear of the bus with safety features applied;
- Passengers are permitted to carry unoccupied wheelchairs, bikes, prams, strollers and scooters provided they can be stowed away in the luggage racks. Bikes may be carried on board a bus provided they can be folded in half and safely stowed in the luggage rack.
- Except for extending the wheelchair ramp, Bus Drivers are not expected to leave the driving seat to assist a passenger to enter or leave the bus, but they have the discretion to do so where they believe it is safe and reasonable, and where the bus is properly secured.
You are responsible for the safety and security of your luggage. We will not carry unaccompanied parcels or luggage or be held responsible for any loss or damage to belongings while on-board.
We reserve the right to refuse to carry any items of luggage that could cause inconvenience, danger or offence to others. Carriage of luggage is restricted on safety grounds to where space is available.
We will keep and record all property lost and found on our buses and will make all reasonable efforts to return to the rightful owner. If you report a lost item to us and that item is recovered, you will be notified to collect.
In Hobart, you can collect lost property from the Metro Shop, 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday (unless you have contacted us via 13 22 01 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a different collection time). In Launceston and Burnie, you can visit the Metro depots between 9.30am to 5pm.
You are entitled to polite and helpful service from our employees. Metro bus operators are required to wear a clean uniform when on duty. They are also trained to consider your safety and comfort when driving, and to assist you with your travel needs.
We welcome your comments and feedback. To submit this you can:
- Call 13 22 01
- Email email@example.com .au
- Visit www.metrotas.com.au
- Write to: Customer Service Team, Metro Tasmania, PO Box 61, Moonah, TAS, 7009.
To enable us to investigate your enquiry or complaint with the best possible chance of resolution, please provide as much detail as possible, including:
- Date and time of travel
- Bus route
- Bus number or registration
- A contact number or email address in case we need to follow up for more information.
When we receive a complaint, we will investigate and provide a response within 10 working days. Complaints must be made within seven days of an incident occurring in order to be investigated.
- Call the Customer Service Hotline 13 22 01 for timetable and service information, wheelchair and disability accessible information, and general enquiries between 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday (except Public Holidays) and 9.30am to 2pm on Saturdays (during Daylight Savings only).
- If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service using one of the following options:
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 22 01
- Internet relay users can connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 13 22 01
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact us via our online form here
- Hobart – Metro Shop at 22 Elizabeth Street in the Hobart City bus mall open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 9.30am to 2pm Saturdays during daylight savings.
- Launceston – Depot Office at 168 Wellington Street open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Burnie – Depot Office at 28 Strahan Street open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- PO Box 61, Moonah, TAS 7009