New Turn Up and Go service from Launceston CBD to University via Mowbray
The first high frequency Turn Up and Go bus services between Launceston, Mowbray and the University of Tasmania Inveresk and Newnham campuses commences this Monday, 23 February.
The new service will operate as a ten month trial, with buses running approximately every 15 minutes between 8:00am and 6:00pm on weekdays. The trial, which is a joint initiative between Metro, the University of Tasmania and the Tasmanian Government, builds on the success of the Turn Up and Go service in Hobart.
Speaking about the introduction of the new service, Metro CEO Mr Stuart Wiggins said “This new service is an important extension of our network made possible through partnerships and will make travel more convenient and accessible.
“We hope that the service will be strongly supported so that it can become a permanent fixture in the future,” Mr Wiggins said.
From today there is a new timetable in effect for all northern services that incorporate routes six, seven, eight and ten. * A detailed timetable is attached for reference.
Specific changes include:
- Route 2 will cease – replaced by new Route 8 which will travel via the University Loop.
- Routes 6 and 7 will travel via the University Loop both Inwards and Outwards.
- Routes 6, 7 and 8 together will form a 15 minute, on the quarter hour, service from the City to University.
- Return from the University will be an average wait of 15 minutes.
- Travel from Mowbray to the City will be a 10 minute service – every 10 minutes on the clock face at Mowbray Shops.
- Routes 6 and 7 will be extended to travel via the junction of Franmaree and Alanvale Roads (and no longer travel via Mallard, Bronzewing and Teal Cr – only school buses will continue to travel via these roads)
- New stops will be located on Franmaree and Alanvale Roads outside the following addresses: 108 Franmaree Rd, 85 Franmaree Rd, 182 Alanvale Rd, 211 Alanvale Rd.